Recruit, hire, train and help retain qualified staff for Tribal Government operations. As well as provide personnel services that meet departmental needs in a manner consistent with North Fork Rancheria priorities and Native Preference goals.
Those applying for all positions must possess a valid California Driver's License and successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and criminal background investigation. All applicants must have the ability to work with people from diverse cultures, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds and must always maintain cultural sensitivity. Indian Preference applies to those who are qualified. EOE. Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace. All employment is “at-will”. For an Application Package, contact the NFR Administrative Offices at (559) 877-2461, toll-free at (866) 291-9909, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org . A PDF version is available by e-mail.
Administrative Assistant I
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$24,367 - $30,671
- Posted Date:08/06/2018
The Administrative Assistant I’s responsibilities include: receptionist, routine to difficult typing/word processing, performance of repetitive filing, copying, and other tasks as required. In addition, the Administrative Assistant I may be expected to take, or transcribe, recorded minutes of official meetings, be able to produce draft correspondence, forms or reports, and work on independent projects to support government office personnel.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Types letters, memoranda, reports, lists, certificates, and other materials.
- Organizes and prioritizes large volumes of information and calls.Answers incoming telephone calls and questions in a polite and professional manner, and directs visitors as needed.
- Takes phone messages or fields/answers all routine and non-routine questions. Works in cooperation with other office personnel to ensure coverage of phones.
- Responds to requests for employment applications in a timely and professional manner.
- Prepares correspondence to applicants inquiring to the status of their application under the direction of the Human Resource Manager or the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Establishes, develops, maintains and updates filing system for the government office. Retrieves information from files when needed. Logs and maintains resolutions.
- Opens, sorts, and distributes mail. Drafts written responses or replies by phone or e-mail when necessary. Responds to regularly occurring requests for information.
- Operates personal computer, fax machine, copier, postage meter and other office equipment.
- Processes and creates Tribal identification cards.
- Assists Tribal members in completing application for Yosemite National Park card and creates pass.
- Assists Tribal members in completing DMV forms and submits for signatures.
- Assist in maintaining and reconciling the key management system.
- Updates and maintains bulletin board to keep Tribal members informed of resources available.
- Acts as a liaison with other departments and outside agencies, including high-level staff such as department managers and Tribal Council members. Discretely handles confidential and non-routine information.
- Clearly and respectfully communicates with staff, vendors and other stake holders.
- Types and designs general correspondences, memos, etc.Proofreads copy for spelling, grammar and layout, making appropriate changes. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy.
- Assists with procurement and contract management by compiling and placing office supply orders for both NFR and TANF.
- Receives orders, logs in and distributes supplies.
- Assists with the Summer Food Program by placing lunch orders and other duties as necessary.
- Works independently and within a team on special nonrecurring and ongoing projects such as special mailings, grant management, and other projects as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Maintain a positive attitude, pleasant, and professional demeanor while receiving and properly carrying out directives.
- Perform in a manner which positively impacts the image and credibility of the North Fork Rancheria and maintain effective communication with all segments of society.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills required.
- Adhere to the confidentiality and code of conduct policies; maintain objectivity in all business and confidential matters.
- Must be able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Knowledge of business correspondence and professional protocol.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite software applications.
- Basic knowledge of Native American communities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
One (1) year of directly related administrative experience or a combination of education and experience.
A High School Diploma or GED required.
The individual must be able to respect and adhere to the most rigid and strict rules of employer/tribal citizen/public citizen practice of confidentiality. Violation of this major employment requirement could lead to immediate dismissal.
Individual must possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license and must be capable of passing a pre-employment drug screen and a criminal background investigation. The individual must have the ability to work with people from diverse cultures, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds and possess a basic knowledge of Native American communities and always maintain cultural sensitivity. Indian Preference applies to those who are qualified.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Work is primarily sedentary and is generally performed in an environmentally controlled office setting. Requires standing, walking, climbing stairs, and manual dexterity. Makes extensive use of standard office equipment including computer keyboards and monitors; telephones and copiers. Occasionally requires lifting and carrying materials weighing twenty-five or more pounds.
NFR complies with the Indian Preference Act. Preference in hiring is given to qualified Native Americans in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 25, US Code, Section 472 and 473). Subject to, but not in derivation of the Act, we are an equal opportunity employer.